Western Region, British Balloon and Airship Club (WRBBAC) is the organisation for balloonists in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, West Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, South Wales and areas beyond.
Not all members of Western Region are pilots — In fact pilots would have a hard time ballooning without a dedicated crew to help inflate the balloon, follow in the retrieve vehicle and help pack and recover the balloon after landing.
Western Region is a Club for balloonists, not a balloon club. It provides many services and benefits to its pilot and non-pilot members:
- Monthly meetings in the Bristol / Bath Area – October to April “indoors”, with talks from famous balloonists, educational topics such as meteorology, fun events such as quizzes and the famous Western Region Auction
- Two club flying events per month from May to September from different locations around the region
- The opportunity for new members to introduce themselves to active balloonists and perhaps join their balloon teams
- The Annual “Montgolfier Dinner”
- The Western Region Met-Line – a recorded weather forecast for balloonists
- Training courses: Private pilots licence ground school, crew training, radio telephony training, landowner relations awareness training
- Bi-monthly newsletter “Hotline”, with all the Club news and dates for your diary
- Committee officers look after landowner relations, liaison with air traffic control and links with the local councils, on behalf of Western Region members
- Privileged access to Bristol Airport controlled airspace only available to WRBBAC members
- Use of Ashton Court and other City parks in Bristol and Bath for balloon launches is available exclusively for WRBBAC members
- Western Region contributes to the organisation of the annual Bristol Balloon Fiesta, always ensuring the best deal possible for balloonists
- Western Region members receive the benefit of access on foot to the balloonists’ area at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta. Of course, many will be there as part of their ballooning team
- Western Region Website — all you need to know about flying in the West, and a lot more too!
- A vast amount of unseen work done by the committee in landowner relations, liaison with the BBAC, air traffic control and other bodies
Pilots living close to Bristol & Bath pay £40 per year, as they benefit from more services than other members. Everyone else – pilots outside the “central area”, plus non-pilots everywhere pay £15 per year. Special rates for under 18s and students.
To join Western Region click to our online membership form.